If you know me you know I always ask the big question:
Will it succeed and turn a profit somehow?
Sometimes making a profit and growing a photography business, like most businesses, is hard to measure beyond the obvious: Your Bank Account.
We do a lot of fairies. Been doing them for a long time now, over 15 years, with no end in sight.
Here’s what I’ve learned, studied, realized, woke up to and other trends I REFUSE to follow:
- Quality. I see a ton of photographers using flat, boring lighting and poses that do no flatter. Me thinks they’re too eager to get into the game of photography too soon. Big mistake.
- Too many hours (think workflow) vs profits earned return on investment. Huge spirit breaking mistake. (crushing amounts of workflow will break anyone in time.)
- Ego boosting– (this, a serious affliction and one of the underlying forces behind the shoot and burn tsunami). Too eager to take on a session, the biggest reason being it ‘feels good’.
- Logos and image boosting marketing strategies. Let’s agonize for days over which is the best logo that represents our business.Way, way before we even have a business. Big mistake. I whipped up my current logo many years ago, within minutes, and was like: “That’ll do.”
- Technitis. Meaning, let’s obsess over our gear. The old adage applies here: “You must have a good camera, look how great your images are!” This afflictions also applies to workflow and any area that is completely irrelevant to the final aim-profits ‘Nuff said…
Fact is, this list is random. I could make it much, much longer.
All points stand for the same reasons for failure…..distraction over the main reason we’re in business: We’re here to make money. Simple.
We recently had another fairy day. And it was a huge success. Was it easy? Not a bit. In fact it was grueling. Four days of travel, set up, shooting, selling and packing up everything and driving back home. But it was profitable. Very profitable. And opens the doors to possibilities.
We stayed focused, and earned our keep. And I’m sharing the strategies, the principles, the sales techniques, lighting and more.
I explained in detail about this experience in the latest mastermind replay
in the forum for members. Go get it.
NOTE: last year I ran a fairy day success event and sold it.
For those who signed up, and have online access to that system, I ADDED THIS REPLAY as well.
Just login and you’ll find it HERE near the top of that page
Robert N. Provencher – Your Master Coach Marketer
“If you want to be a profitable and successful photographer, then study profitable and successful photographers.”