I was young. I had four sisters younger than I.
I still have four sisters, and they’re still younger. But we’re all older.
I am the only boy. Being surrounded by girls all my life had it’s perks.
And yes, there was a time I did play with dolls, but not in the way you think….more on that in a sec.
I was always a high energy, curious, observant and troubled kid.
I stole, played with fire, vandalized, climbed any building, tree or pole I could find,
simply for the challenge of being able to climb it on my own.
I could have joined a gang had their been one around. I woulda been the leader,
that much I know. And people would have been scared of us.
Back to the dolls. And this boy, the potential gang leaders`foray into dolls.
All my sisters had dolls. I mostly ignored that fact. I played with hot wheels and built forts.
Until one of my sisters got a new doll called Thumbelina. And this doll was magical,
because it moved and twisted around like a newborn baby does. (after you switched it on).
It acted like a real baby. Creepy, I know. But it perked my curiosity.
I had to know how it worked. So, I took it apart. And my sister to this day still resents me.
She brings it up at every family gathering.
I didn’t care back then. I simple wanted to know how the dam doll did what it did!
Being curious and being a badass has it’s perks too. For one, when I got into business, I had an intense desire to know everything about marketing.
Marketing, as you know, is the lifeforce of all business. And running a photography studio is no exception.
Diving deep into marketing and studying it with an intensity and passion deeper
than a 12 year old boy taking apart a motorized doll, was the reason I managed to grow my photography studio well into a six-figure income.
That much I am convinced.
I was eager, anxious, and never too proud, shy or reserved to ask questions.
I had to know.
And to me, as I look back, these qualities are the fundamental reasons why:
- I’ve written 1,000+++ pages in several books, booklets, manuals on marketing,
selling, promotions…all on photography and many other articles.
- I’ve interviewed, likely at this point in my life, over 400 other successful photographers… and recorded each one
- I’ve put on seminars, workshops and events for the industry and brought together some of the top players to share their wealth on information….and video taped each one.
- I’ve taught many workshops, online and in person, on fairy portraits, weddings, families,babies and kids..all layered with a heavy scoop of marketing….
- I’ve created, moderated and delivered five advanced training series workshops (so far) with Kirsten Lewis, Maggie Habieda Nowakowski, Argentina Leyva, Vanessa Joy, Margaret Bryant, Fuzzy Duenkel, Judy Cormier and Marilyn Sholin and ……and dug deep, deep into the inner working of their photography businesses….boudoir, weddings, high end portrait studio, publicity, marketing, posing, pet photography, creating your own voice in photography….
and recorded each one…
That….and more….much, much more.
I must be nuts.
All this while running a busy, successful and profitable wedding and portrait photography business.
I look around me and am baffled why so many aren’t curious like me. It totally baffles me. But, then again, I never said I was normal. I am a little freakish.
And I don’t care what people think.
Most are gracious enough to help me on my quest for knowledge. And for that, I am grateful.
My curiosity caused me some grief in my life. But mostly it helped me grow in business and grow as a person. I honored it, and breathed life into it.
I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Are you curious? You can join me in my on-going, doll destroying journey.
| Yours in photography and success,